Saturday 31 July 2010

LEARNING TO DANCE WITH MICHAEL CLARK AT TATE









For the last two Friday's I've been going to Tate Modern where choreographer and dancer Michael Clark is teaching selected members of the general public a dance routine to perform at Tate Modern's Turbine Hall. Last Friday I went as a spectator, but this Friday I joined as a participant with my friends art historian Claire Bishop, curator Catherine Wood and artist Silke Otto-Knap in learning a routine with other 100 improvised amateurs, that we'll hopefully perform there by the end of August!

*****
Press Release
Tate Modern Live: Michael Clark Company

Widely considered as one of the most eminent and groundbreaking choreographers today, Michael Clark and his dance company transform the Turbine Hall into a space for experimentation and practice while they prepare a new work created in response to this monumental space. This unique display of live art provides an extraordinary opportunity for Tate visitors to witness the artistic process behind Clark's choreography.

Michael Clark is also inviting 100 members of the public to join weekly workshops with the company in July and August. The group of 100 untrained dancers will learn a piece of choreography to be performed en-masse over the August Bank Holiday weekend in the Turbine Hall in free public performances.

A programme of films and videos by Charles Atlas is presented in conjunction with Michael Clark Company's Turbine Hall residency.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pablo,

    Just came across your blog through Susana Pomba's (Miss Dove) and noticed you have been rehearsing with Michael Clark. I have been there too. My name is Ana Vicente and I'm in the third group. It was fantastic last night, wasn't it? I am really looking forward to tonight...I was wondering if you mind I use some of your photos to put in my blog (statesofuttersilence.blogspot.com). I haven't had the chance to take any photos of the rehearsals and I can see me in a couple yours...All the best. I'll say hello if I see you tonight. Ana

    ReplyDelete