Friday 4 November 2011

ADRIANO COSTA, 'TAPETES' NEONEOCONCRETE GEOEMOTIONAL CARPET PRE-SCULPTURES AT VIDEOBRASIL







Adriano Costa, Tapetes, 2010
In 'Tapetes', Costa appropriates everyday objects and arranges them in a fashion he describes as “pre-sculptoric,” to explore the undefined moment in which something has not yet been defined as art. This piece problematizes the statute that confers artistic character.

PLB:
Oi Adriano, can you tell me more about the work you are exhibiting in Videobrasil? I think the work is very autobiographical, while on the other hand it deals with the very specific legacy of neoconcretism in Brazil. Anything else you would like to say about it?

Adriano Costa:
The work is called "Tapetes" (Carpets)! and it's formed with pieces of fabric I've been collecting since 2008. I've got a big collection of them. The funny thing about the material I choose is that some of them I found, some of them were stolen from friends house, bars, etc... There's a kind of "emotional" issue about them. The carpets I do are not a proper sculpture because they don't have any kind of material that makes them a "solid" thing... (I call the sculptures "carpets" because of that way one proceeds, but I find some funny stuff about calling them sculptures... I'm working in a certain way, on a thing that once was design, and now is "fine Arts"... I think I'm talking about how we think about visuality ... how unsure it is to think about those things ). They're just a juxtaposition of the material... So fragile and aggressive at the same time... About the forms: I'm working with basic geometric forms... And for that reason I think one of the best things about the work is the question: is it possible to make a blend of GEOMETRY with EMOTION? Questões paradoxais... I think is possible... Pablito: when you do a proper sculpture one of the issues is to create a kind of solid product. My carpets are made without any kind of solidification... is it a nice way to think about life and death. But also about some geometric iconic Brazilian sculpture (the concrete's and neoconcrete's... so European... so amazing as well... ) The first time the work was installed, it had no protection around it, people could walk around the carpets, the installation was destroyed in two days! I had to reinstall it again, now there's a protection perimeter around the sculptures...

Adriano Costa, Tapetes, 2010, was awarded one of the jury's prices at Videobrasil festival in Sao Paulo. The Festival jury included Agustín Pérez Rubio, director of the MUSAC (Contemporary Art Museum of Castilla y León), in Spain; Bisi Silva, founder of CCA Lagos (Center for Contemporary Art), in Nigeria; Gabriela Salgado, an independent curator specializing in Latin America; Rodrigo Moura, curator of Instituto Inhotim (Brumadinho, state of Minas Gerais); and Raquel Schwartz, director of Galeria Kiósko in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.

The 17th International Contemporary Art Festival SESC_Videobrasil is an undertaking of Associação Cultural Videobrasil (www.videobrasil.org.br) and SESC São Paulo (www.sescsp.org.br).

17th International Contemporary Art Festival SESC_Videobrasil
SESC Belenzinho
SESC Pompeia
Pinacoteca do Estado (São Paulo State Art Gallery)
September 2011–January 2012
São Paulo, Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment